Upgrade of the intelligent traffic management system and the existing real-time passenger information system
This activity will be implemented as an upgrade of the intelligent transport system under the project ‘Sofia Integrated Urban Transport Project’ under ‘Regions of Growth’ Operational Program for 2007 – 2013 programming period, as well as other current projects of Sofia Urban Mobility Center JSC (SUMC). The activity includes the following elements:
1. Supply and installation of signaling equipment for priority switching of trams on tramways and main transport corridors – Transit Signal Priority (TSP).
Transit Signal Priority (TSP) is an operational strategy that facilitates the movement of transit vehicles on separate routes through controlled intersections via a traffic light system and generates a positive effect. The upgrade is compatible and analyzed on the basis of the equipment supplied for 20 intersections and 750 vehicles from the public transport network.
With the realization of the planned investments, this activity will achieve the following benefits for the urban transport system:
- Reducing the average speed of travel along the specified corridors;
- Improving awareness and accessibility to sustainable transport services;
- Modernization and automation in the field of public urban transport;
- Collecting and creating of a traveler database, which will allow optimizing the organization of public transport and improving the service.
The implementation of this activity shall demonstrate its European value in terms of importance and need. Transit Signal Priority (TSP) is an operational strategy that facilitates the movement of transit vehicles on separate and mixed routes through controlled intersections via a traffic light system.
Accompanying activities – installation, wiring and power supply at junction level, as well as connectivity, software and interface at control center level.
2. Supply and installation of 220 electronic information boards /EIB/ – upgrade.
- Upgrading through software development with the option of selecting vehicle type, route, direction and visualization of an EIB route map to add additional passenger information in case of temporary traffic organization, route breakdown, history of changes made by an operator, etc.;
- Upgrading by adding equipment for communication with existing information boards.
For the purpose of upgrading and increasing the effect of the component, additional 220 electronic information boards were supplied and installed at pre-selected public transport stops.
All boards are equipped with a device for voice announcement of information for each route line in order to ensure the accessibility to public transport for blind people and visually impaired people.
30% of all 220 electronic information boards are made by means of photovoltaic installation.
The electronic boards, located at 6 of the stops at major locations with high passenger flow and passing vehicles more than 7, included in the project, are made by means of full-matrix display.
Accompanying activities – supply, installation, wiring and power supply at public transport level and software development, connectivity and interface at server level.
3. Supply and installation of video surveillance equipment at public transport stops – Video Surveillance System (VSS).
In order to ensure the security of citizens, 24 CCTV cameras that can be controlled remotely will be installed at stops along Tsar Boris III Boulevard from Russian Monument Square to Knyazhevo loop, as well as communication to a control center will be built.
Accompanying activities – delivery, installation, wiring and power supply at public transport stop level and software, hardware, connectivity and interface at control center level.
MANNER OF IMPLEMENTATION
This activity will be implemented by external contractors according to the specifics of supplies under the individual components, selected as provided for in the PPA (Public Procurement Act).
The Project Partner (Sofia Urban Mobility Center JSC and Traffic Management and Analysis Directorate at Sofia Municipality) actively participates in the entire implementation of the activity and is responsible for the operation of the assets and currently carries out the activities in the municipality related to the commissioning and operation of intelligent transport systems, ticketing systems, and traffic control and management systems.
The intelligent transport system is aimed at integrating all types of urban transport in general and improving intermodal connections. In this way, the transport service will be improved and the congestion and use of private cars will be reduced.
This activity will contribute to improving the connections between separate regions and the various forms of transport. It will help to achieve an overall improvement of the transport services in Sofia Municipality. The travel time of vehicles and passengers will be reduced and the safety of movement will be improved.
The project will contribute to the achievement of compliance of ‘Regions in Growth’ OP 2014-2020 with the guidelines for integration of the Environmental Policy (EP) and Climate Change Policy (CCP) and in particular the implementation of the following interventions from the guidelines: improving air quality and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, implementing measures to improve air quality, as well as renovating and expanding the systems for sustainable urban transport.
The project envisages investments in electrical transport, which is considerably preferred as being environmentally friendly. During the execution of the construction activities all standards to ensure the achievement of maximum ecological transport will be observed and measures to reduce noise and vibrations are provided.
The overall improvement of the urban transport will make it more attractive and will encourage less use of private cars, which will contribute to the overall reduction in traffic and congestion and the sustainable improvement of the environment.
The project is directly related to the following result indicators:
- Total length of new or improved public transport lines (in km) – 19.440 km single track;
- Travels by means of public transport on new or improved public transport lines – 76 343 295 per year;
- Annual reduction of greenhouse gas and CO2 emissions – 293 tons per year by 2023.